Waste Management after a Bushfire, South Australia 2019-2020

What to do first

Step 1: Contact your insurance company. Find out what you are insured for, and check with them about how they recommend you document loss and damage. The insurance industry has activated a 24-hour disaster hotline for bushfire claims:  1800 734 621. They can help you with your claim, even if you’ve lost documents in the fire and can’t remember which insurer you’re with..Bushfire-related claims will be prioritised for assistance and processing.

Step 2: Be careful about asbestos. If your house or buildings were built before 2000, there is every likelihood asbestos will be present somewhere. Register for an inspection by a licensed contractor. If you're sure asbestos is present, let the State Recovery Office know, and refer to advice on asbestos here.

Step 3: Register your waste needs. Register your waste volumes and types with Green Industries SA. Use this form to register.

Step 4: Salvage your personal items. If you choose to look for recoverable items on your property, please use protective clothing, including masks and gloves - safety first

Step 5: Document the damage (take photos). This will allow waste contractors and assesors to estimate the amount of work required at your property.

Step 6: Sort waste into streams if you're able to and it's safe to do so, (only handle confirmed ‘asbestos free’ waste) like metal, plastic, timber, and building materials. Be aware of clearance and access to your property and your waste - trucks may require overhead clearance, so only store waste items close to the boundary, and where access is clear.

Advice on waste contractors and useful contact details are available here

In this section:

Managing asbestos

Managing CCA Timber and Ash After a Bushfire

Register your waste needs

Managing general waste: household waste and food waste and hard rubbish

Managing construction and demolition waste

Managing e-waste, metal and vehicles

Managing hazardous chemicals, plastic dripline and irrigation and CCA treated timber (‘permapine’)  

Useful contacts